Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

Server Host

<<

darkrai202

Post 20 May 2013, 5:31 pm

Server Host

So, Roly. I know you Home Host the servers, ever considered going with better hosting?

Benefits would be having faster and more reliable connection, anyway. Check out these guys.

http://www.ausfrag.com/

P.S: May be coming back, you guys missed me? :DDDDDD

Login to remove these ads

<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 20 May 2013, 6:45 pm

Re: Server Host

The thing at the moment is cost!

There are 4 options I'm thinking of at the moment,
1) Keep it at home for the time being, with 2 dsl connections to the server. (Cheapest Option)
2) Find someone nice enough (with Fiber NBN in Australia) to buy a port off of them, and to place my server in their house. I would pay for their connection, and we would get a 40mbit upload.
3) Dedicated Co-location Hosting in a datacenter (We rent rack space and put our current server in it)
4) Dedicated Game Hosting in a datacenter (They own the machine, we just pay monthy for it)

If we still want Roly's Minecraft, it has to be a dedicated server, since I want/need to mess around with the server :mine-P:, scripts/backups/editing config files, need physical console access, not something like shared hosting through a web-gui.

I've looked at two sites that do dedicated game hosting in australia:
http://www.ausfrag.com/dedicated.php
Need at least the $300 a month one + extra backup storage about 1TB

http://www.serversaustralia.com.au/gami ... ervers.php
Need at least the $289 a month one + upgrade ram + more backup storage.

With these plans they have a 100mbit port with 1TB or 2TB quotas. after than unless you prepay the data can get expensive.

Co-location Hosting, have not found the best prices on the net for this, I expect I would need to actually call/email the company's up and see what plans/deals they can do.

For now, I'm slowly upgrading the server, new ssd or raptor drive is coming, and a larger backup drive. More ram later, and a ip-kvm card.

Right now, in this point in time, even with donations I would not be able to afford $300 a month. Until donations/I from working, get atleast $300-500 to cover the costs a month, cant put into datacenter.
So other options are Fiber NBN, around the cost what we are paying now, $100 - $150 a month. (But don't know anyone who would let me place my server in the corner of their house yet)

And yeah, Long reply, but I have been doing research and these are the options I can come up with. If anyone has any ideas go ahead and mention below :mine-):
<<

rocketpig3

Post 20 May 2013, 6:58 pm

What's your speedtest atm roly?

I am a businesspig. If you need anything or want to sell me something, send me some mail or ask in game.
<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 20 May 2013, 7:02 pm

I get around 3.6Mbps total upload for the 2 dsl connections. Downloads don't matter much with hosting minecraft.

Until NBN rolls down my street (Not in the 3 year plan yet) no chance of faster speeds at home.
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 20 May 2013, 9:30 pm

Ick Rocket.

No wonder you get bad lag sometimes mate. With most online gaming uploads (client side) tend to make a huge difference in latency. Download matters but often times the slow as fudge upload pins it down.
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

darkrai202

Post 21 May 2013, 7:14 pm

No ones excited I'm coming back?

fien
<<

crusty_krow

Post 21 May 2013, 8:04 pm

darkrai202 wrote:No ones excited I'm coming back?

we're all just secretly bottling our excitement, hiding it away in a deep dark moist hole in the bottom of the sea...
Image Image
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 21 May 2013, 8:24 pm

fien

Bout damn time
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 21 May 2013, 11:57 pm

:text-woo: :violence-hammer:
<<

Mingjetan

Post 31 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm

Come back darkai! And maybe we should have donations not just for vip but like other things so we might be able to get a good server host (not saying roly is bad!) also there's this sight called mc pro hosting might wanna take a look but they host servers in America I think.

:via09:
Need some building tips? Just message me in game! I'll be more than happy to help :)

Next

Return to Suggestions