Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

Be Brave and Shave!

<<

MrsRicochet

Post 28 Jan 2013, 7:44 pm

Be Brave and Shave!

You're probably thinking: 'This doesn't sound like Minecraft?', 'How is this even related?', 'Rico, screw your head back on!'. Stay tuned and figure out how to win yourself prizes!

Today 31 Australians will be given the devastating news that they have leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma or a related blood disorder. That's more than 11,500 people this year.

Although survival rates are improving, blood cancers like these are the second biggest cause of cancer death in Australia.

The Leukaemia Foundation receives no ongoing government funding, so supporting this event makes our Vision to Cure and Mission to Care possible.

The money you raise will go towards research, which is needed to find better treatments and cures for leukaemias, lymphomas, myeloma and related blood disorders.

Your donations and sponsorship will also support families when they need it most, providing leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma patients with a free home-away-from-home near hospital during their treatment. It will also mean we can transport them to appointments and provide as much practical assistance and emotional support as we can, all free of charge.

- World's Greatest Shave Website

You guessed it guys; this year I am paticipating in The Worlds Greatest Shave!

What is the World's Greatest Shave?

The Worlds Greatest Shave is a charity event held every year in the hopes to raise vital funds for the continued research and support of various blood related disorders. Hosted by the Leukaemia Foundation, a non-for-profit organization, thousands of Australian's get together to either shave, colour or style their hair to gain the much needed support for patients and families suffering.

The Leukaemia Foundation turns to everyday Australian's for help simply due to the fact that they receive no government funding or assistance whatsoever; it is out of the kindness of our own hearts that this foundation, along with patients and their families, solely rely upon.

What exactly does the Leukaemia Foundation do?

Leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma can develop in anyone, of any age, at any time. Often with little warning and in acute cases, may require treatment within 24 hours of diagnosis. It turns lives upside down overnight.

Families from rural or regional Australia often need to quickly relocate to major cities to be closer to treatment centres. This is usually for extended periods of time.

Relocation is particularly traumatic as it often occurs after diagnosis, resulting in patients and families adjusting to their new circumstances without the benefit of established local support networks.

Combined with costly medical bills and loss of income, many families find themselves in financially crippling circumstances whilst coping with the shock and emotional turmoil associated with the diagnosis.

On average, treatment of haematological cancers lasts for eight months but can continue for years.

This is where the Leukaemia Foundation step in, providing personalized support and care for patients and families right throughout their journey – from diagnosis, treatment to recovery. This support is provided by an extensive team of trained cancer nurses and allied health professionals and reaches every town and community across Australia .

Okay, so we understand this much, but what does this have to do with Rolyd?

Having made the decision to 'Be Brave and Shave' I've also made a commitment; I hope to raise $250 to help support those that are in need of it and in the process try something new and exciting. I'm turning towards all ally ways for sponsorship; and that includes asking the players of Rolyd.com to lend a hand by donating or taking part for yourselves. As I said earlier stick to it and learn later on how to win some prizes.

What are your goals, Rico?

I want to raise $250 in support of the Foundation, however I also have a personal goal; I plan on shaving all of my hair off. My hair is very unhealthy and is in desperate need of another chance, by shaving it all off, I give it just that and I hope to look after it this time around.

What's in it for us as Sponsors?

As a Sponsor, whether it be of 5cents or $500, you will be helping a greater cause to bring support and care to all those that suffer from blood disorders. If you do decide to Sponsor, or even participate yourself, you should feel very proud to be taking part and remember that you are awesome in my books from now on. Not everyone is a charity bug like myself; not everyone goes out of their way to help without expecting anything in return. So, if you make this decision thank you, from the bottom of my heart, and from all those you will be helping.

As an extra incentive, I am offering a stack of diamonds to all those that donate as a thank you; no one is left out. The top five sponsors will receive five stacks each to enjoy and use at their own disposal. You will also receive a personalized thank you letter from myself and to top it all off all donations over $2 is tax deductible. You will receive an electronic receipt.

This event will be filmed. From the moment the razors are picked up, to the moment the last strand hits the floor; you (as Sponsors) will be able to see my every reaction and emotion as I go through the process of shaving for a cure.

You see, everyone's a winner!

Rico, you've been using a lot of fancy words, I'm just kid.

That's fair enough; I understand a lot of the player base are children and this section is just for you.

If you are interested in donating money towards my goal, just get Mum or Dad to take a look at this thread (if you are under 18 years old, you will need their permission anyway). If they have any questions about anything at all, they can reach me through the private messaging system of the forums, or at my private e-mail: otaku.girl.nee.chan@hotmail.com

Anything else you'd like to add, Rico?

If you are interested in taking part yourself and choosing to shave, colour or style your hair, have a read of this websites below for more information on The World's Greatest Shave and the Leukaemia Foundation. Here you can also learn more of what exactly your donations are going towards and why.

http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/ - The worlds Greatest Shave
http://www.leukaemia.org.au/web/ - The Leukaemia Foundation

I'd also like to offer anyone who would like to join in, the chance to join our very own team that I will be creating shortly on The World's Greatest Shave. Where you can all work towards gathering donations and sponsors for your own shaving, colouring or styling event.

Together we will work on ways to encourage more donators, share our tips, our excitement and our fear and our inspirations as to why we've made this choice.

Keep an eye on this topic in the future for updates and other information. Please feel free to post any questions or comments below, your support means the world to me.

Last but not least, thank you. To everyone who took the time to read this, to everyone who decides to help out in anyway. I truly appreciate it and I'm sure the people that are suffering from these terrible illnesses will be just as grateful as I.

I've read enough; where can I donate?

http://my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/sarahbulmer

Scroll down to the orange button that says 'SPONSOR ME' and follow the prompts. Payment options include credit card and PayPal.

Login to remove these ads

<<

darkrai202

Post 28 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

Re: Be Brave and Shave!

Sounds cool, probably will donate a few bucks. xP

You're a kind person! xD
<<

meach51

Post 28 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm

I'll pledge $30, that I would normally spend on a haircut. Rather go to a good cause :)
<<

MrsRicochet

Post 28 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm

meach51 wrote:I'll pledge $30, that I would normally spend on a haircut. Rather go to a good cause :)

Thanks Dark!

Meach! That's very generous of you! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. You can put the donation through any time, I do prefer that it's in before I chop it off so I can send the donations in as fast as possible :)
<<

meach51

Post 29 Jan 2013, 10:02 am

Ok, done rico.

Good luck with the event, I hope you raise your target!

meach
<<

MrsRicochet

Post 29 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

Thank you, meach!
<<

MrsRicochet

Post 30 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm

Big thank you to Kneesa for her donation of $27! Keep it up guys, I'm so grateful that so many of you have such big hearts!
<<

MrsRicochet

Post 01 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

Another big thank you to Ryder for his donation!

So far, that people eligible for the five stacks of diamonds are: meach, kneesa and Ryder. There are still two spots left for anyone to claim!
<<

darkrai202

Post 02 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

Haven't been able to donate.. Problems with Pre-Paid credit card. >.>
<<

crusty_krow

Post 02 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

darkrai202 wrote:Haven't been able to donate.. Problems with Pre-Paid credit card. >.>

load and go? pay by paypal

i donated $10, its all i have
Image Image
Next

Return to Events